Essential Oils for Warts
Warts can cause
Common Types of Warts
- Genital warts
- Plantar warts
- Palmer warts
Most warts are a side effect of the human papillomavirus (HPV), including genital warts, plantar warts, and palmer warts. Over 100 HPV strains exist. Some cause warts and others can cause cancer while many strains have zero symptoms. All are highly contagious. Source: mayoclinic
You might think of the herpes virus when it comes to warts in the genital region; however, HPV is more common than herpes. Side-by-side it’s difficult to tell
Only a doctor can offer you a clear diagnosis, but both types of warts receive the same treatment methods. Unfortunately, no cure exists for HPV or herpes at this time, but most people will be
Luckily, you can halt HPV’s painful side effects and your contagiousness with at home wart removal. In the meantime, if you have exposed warts on your hands or other areas of your body, you should cover them with a bandage or gauze pad.
How to Choose Essential Oils for Warts
Essential oils contain healing compounds, including antiviral and antifungal properties to fight warts. While they won’t address the underlying cause of all warts, they can be as effective as more invasive treatments.
The best essential oils will be pure, therapeutic or food grade, and certified organic or by a third party. This ensures you’re putting an unaltered product on your skin.
Essential oils with strong antifungal and antiviral properties:
- Tea tree oil – source: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/iwj.12611
- Cinnamon bark oil – source: https://academicjournals.org/journal/AJBR/article-abstract/8D4DEA111465
- Neem oil – source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK234637
- Oregano oil – source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3768712
- Frankincense oil – source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0254629910001705
- Clove oil – source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2211558715000734
What are the Advantages of Using Essential Oils?
Are there disadvantages to natural remedies? Yes, your warts can take up to six weeks to die. In the meantime, new warts can grow, and you’ll need to cover the affected area. This prevents further spreading.
The Controversy with Using Essential Oils
Nearly every drug or treatment will have some controversy or varied opinions. Remember, no treatment method provides a 100% guarantee or is without risk.
Essential oils, when used properly, can be an alternative method for a number of ailments. Three rules of thumb to follow are never ingest essential oils, always perform a 24-hour or 48-hour skin test to check for allergies, and never apply essential oils to your skin without a carrier oil.
It’s also important to remember that the FDA doesn’t regulate essential oils, so purity is a large issue. This is why we suggest you purchase USDA Certified Organic or
Researchers are still conducting studies to analyze essential oil properties and testing their effectiveness alone and when combined with other conventional methods.
How to Use Essential Oils to Remove Warts
You’re going to have the most success with combining multiple essential oils into one custom blend.
Wart Removal Solution Recipe
- ½ teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 5-6 drops of essential oil or a blend of essential oils with antiviral, antifungal, and antibacterial properties from the list
- 3 cotton balls
- Band aid or gauze bandages, depending on size of area
- Medical tape
Time needed: 12 hours.
- Combine apple cider vinegar and 5-6 drops of your chosen oils in a small bowl.
- Slowly mix in the melted and cooled coconut oil.
- Cleanse your wart thoroughly with warm water and castile soap.
- While the area dries, place your cotton balls in the solution and allow them to soak.
- Apply the cotton balls to the area.
- Cover with a bandage and secure with medical tape.
- Repeat with each area.
- Leave bandage and cotton ball in place for 12 hours. Repeat the process until the wart is gone.
This application will treat three warts. You can double the formula for large areas. If you have a single wart, you can store the solution in a dark glass container in a cool dry place. Don’t refrigerate as the coconut oil will solidify.
Consider adding these to your formula:
- Green tea extract – source: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2009/0401/p591.html
- Garlic extract – source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1764803
Both have good clinical results with treating warts.
When to See Your Doctor
- If your warts are internal; don’t use the solution or essential oils internally.
- If your skin is broken, enflamed, or your warts appear infected
- If you have an autoimmune disorder, diabetes, or a compromised immune system
- If the affected person is a child or infant
- If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding
Best Essential Oils for Wart Removal
Plant Therapy is one of the few essential oil company that staffs certified aromatherapists and essential oil experts. They ensure each batch for quality and authenticity. Each bottle features a batch label. They provide
- USDA organic and cruelty free
- Variety of sizes to fit every person’s needs
- Bold fresh scent
- Included dropper is faulty at times and makes measuring difficult; sometimes it clogs, and other times it pours out. Exercise caution when using.
- Might need to transfer to a better bottle.
Few companies triple test their products before they hit the market, but Viva Naturals leaves no stone unturned.
- USDA certified organic
- Non-GMO Project Verified
- Third-party verified
- Bulb-dropper for easy measurement
- Third party testing results aren’t available, so you’re relying on the labeling and honesty of the company if the other seals aren’t enough for you.
- Source of oil varies between batches/bottles, but listing claims Africa.
Healing Solutions is a favorite of ours because their view is to make essential oils affordable for everyone without sacrificing quality. They also provide aromatherapy blending tips, which can be helpful if you’re new to essential oils.
- Money back guarantee—no questions asked
- High-grade essential oil
- Potent smell, but if you don’t like the scent of oregano this might be a con.
- Not organic
- Not third party verified
- Built in dropper
Nature’s Oil offers you
- USDA certified organic
- True cinnamon bark: Cinnamomum zeylanicum
- Spicy aroma like cinnamon candies, but don’t ingest it
- Not as potent as some oils in terms of scent, meaning it dissipates quickly; this has no bearing on its ability to treat warts.
We seldom recommend pre-blended oils or kits; however, due to the unique nature of warts, an extensive kit can provide you the oils you require in a convenient package that you can continue to use for other purposes.
Natrogix combines 18 of the most popular essential oils into one box.
- Free e-book to assist you with 200 recipes and other e-books are available too
- High-quality oils in a convenient size
- They offer transparent third party GC/MS testing and the results
- Not organic, but company does claim they’re GMO free
- Bottles have built in droppers that can be faulty
- Only available in 10ml size
Because warts respond best to an essential oil blend, it’s difficult to pick a single winner. Our first thought is generally tea tree oil because it’s a wonderful multi-use oil. The same applies to lemon essential oil though.
It’s a tough call, but the exception is the Natrogix Nirvana Essential Oils.
If you have no essential oils or only a small collection, you could easily spend a small fortune purchasing the oils required. A high quality lessens the impact on your wallet and provides the proper tools to treat your warts. In addition, you now have a nice starter collection of essential oils suitable for cleaning, beauty care, wellness, and health.
For further reading, please check our article about 7 Best Essential Oils for Boils.